- 1 1/2 lbs ground buffalo or turkey
- 1 onion chopped
- 1-2 cups vegetables – chopped carrots, corn, peas
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs cauliflower
- 8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup beef broth (use low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper, other seasonings of choice
1. Steam cauliflower so you can mash it or put it in the blender so they resemble mashed potatoes.
2. While the cauliflower is cooking , melt 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 a stick) in large frying pan.
3. Sauté onions in butter until tender over medium heat (10 mins). If you are adding vegetables, add them according to cooking time. Put any carrots in with the onions. Add corn or peas either at the end of the cooking of the onions, or after the meat has initially cooked.
4. Add ground buffalo or turkey and sauté until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
5. Put cauliflower in the blender until they resemble mash potatoes with remainder of butter, season to taste.
6. Place beef and onions in baking dish. Distribute cauliflower on top. Rough up with a fork so that there are peaks that will brown nicely. You can use the fork to make some designs in the cauliflower as well.
7. Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown. Watch this carefully, as your cooking time will be less because you are using cauliflower.