400g Icing Sugar
200g Almond meal
240g Egg whites (6-7 eggs) at room temperature
80g Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Replace 20g icing sugar with 20g cocoa powder
- 150g Chocolate
- 75g Cream
- Whisk the Egg whites with the salt until double in size
- Slowly add the caster sugar and whisk till firm peaks
- Colour can be added at this stage
- Poorly Beaten or Broken Meringue : Use salt to stabilise meringue while beating.
- Fold the almond and icing sugar mix into the meringue. The mixture should look slightly wet.
- More egg white can be added to make a softer mix if required
- Using a medium plain nozzle pipe bulbs onto baking paper 3-4 cm round
- Leave for 30min on the bench to form a skin. It should have a dull matte finish.
- Bake at 160º for 15min
- They will be cookd when they come off the paper easily
- Bring the cream to the boil
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate buttons
- Allow to cool to spreadable consistency
- Fill the macaroons with the Ganache